Sunday 17 February 2019

Farmers Wfe 1920s Blocks 35, 36, 37 and 38

Block 35 - Flower Basket
Block 35 - Flower Basket
I used a floral background for this block (photo above) as it seemed rather plain without it.  Journal notes state "A very easy block.  I was away from my sewing room so I drew the handle freehand and only had white cotton for the blanket stitch."  I think it turned out very pretty.

Block 36 - Flower Garden Path
Block 36 - Flower Garden Path
My notes identify this as "a tricky block."  I paper-pieced it in a different order by creating four triangle sections before patching them together with 1¼" wide strips for the cross.  I am pleased with how it turned out - I was quite lucky that it turned out to size and that the print of the small gingham pink fabric wasn't too skewed.

Block 37 - Flower Pot
Block 37 - Flower Pot
What looked like a relatively simple block turned out to have two inset seams when foundation paper-piecing.  The leaves are also not lined up exactly and neither is the stripe on the main section of the basket.  But it is good enough to be sashed into row 4 and looks pretty good there.

Block 38 - Four Winds
Block 38 Four Winds
And finally, if you think the previous two blocks were tricky then watch out for Block 38.  My tip is "mark the paper-piecing templates with the colours before stitching the block as the layout is complicated".  Even doing this I still had to redo one strip as I didn't look at the markings - doh!

I am all up to date with Gnomeangel's Farmer's Wife sew-along having made blocks 39, 40 and 41.  But more on those next week.  You can see all the blocks made to date on my Farmer's Wife 1920s Pinterest board.   Until next time .......

No comments:

Post a Comment