|Block 2 from Japanese Taupe Quilts|
I cut three strips from each fabric measuring 13” x 2” and then I stitched the six strips together, using a SCANT ¼” seam to create one piece measuring 13” x 9½”. Next I cross-cut this piece into six 2” strips before stitching them back together as shown.
This method requires accurate cutting and stitching and I cannot stress enough to use a scant ¼” seam. (I didn’t have graduated fabric so I used two contrasting fabrics to create a checkerboard effect.)
|Patchique Block 2 - Patchsmith Style|
So onto the appliqué block 106 entitled ‘Ken giku’ (sword-petaled chrysanthemum) – what I would call a Dresden Plate.
|Block 106 from Japanese Taupe Quilts|
Now I have seen a lot of Dresden quilts – none nicer than this one by Amy over at Amy Made That.
|Amy-Made-That Dresden Plate Quilt|
But I had never made one so this was a first for me and I have to say - I didn’t like making it. I stitched the petals together using ¼” seams but it still seemed a bit baggy in the middle so I re-stitched some of the seams. It looks okay – but not perfect. My points are uneven and it doesn’t lay totally flat. But more importantly, I didn’t enjoy making it. I cannot even put my finger on why – but I just didn’t. So this is the first – and I suspect the last, Dresden this Patchsmith will make.
|Patchique Block 106 - Patchsmith Style|