If you get the sense that you have seen block 18 before you would be right – it is very similar to block 17.
Block 18 from Japanese Taupe Quilts
The only difference is the centre square ......
|Block 17 from Japanese Taupe Quilts|
So it was a pleasure to make this block 'again' and, like block 17, it was an easy and relaxing make.
|Patchiqué Block 18 - Patchsmith Style|
When I first got this book the patchwork blocks looked tricky and complicated. But I have found them to be relatively straightforward. In fact, I have enjoyed making the patchwork blocks more than the appliqué blocks.
|Block 109 from Japanese Taupe Quilts|
Talking of which, appliqué block 109 ‘Asa no han’ (morning flower) presented a challenge for my quick-fuse appliqué method. This block is constructed in a similar way to a Dresden circle. Each petal is made of two fabrics. (I cut my rectangles slightly larger than the book stated as 4” x 2”. Once stitched together the patched block measured 4” x 3½”). That part was easy enough. But then came the slight adjustment.
The author, Susan Briscoe, has used needle-turn applique whereas I prefer the quick-fuse method. So a slight adjustment was needed.
I traced the dotted line on the template onto the paper side of my fusible webbing. I also marked the centre line and the dots on the tracing. When I cut out the tracings, instead of leaving ¼” around the whole tracing I only left ¼” around the top of the petal (the rounded section). I cut accurately along the traced lines on the bottom and sides, up to the marked dots (as shown below).
I fused the tracings onto the back of the patched petal blocks, matching up the line with the centre seam.
Next I cut out the petals accurately along the top curved section and the bottom but I left ¼” seam allowance on both sides of each petal.
|Patchiqué Block 109 - Patchsmith Style|
From there is was relatively easy to construct the flower. I stitched the sides together as instructed in the book. Once the whole flower was stitched together I removed the fusible webbing paper from the petals (trimming the side seams as necessary) and I positioned the finished flower on the background square. Finally I fused and stitched the flower in place before adding a fussy-cut center circle.
It sounds a lot of work but, in my opinion, it isn’t as fiddly as turning 1/8” on those curved petals.
So there you have it – another two blocks done – only twelve blocks to go. Next fortnight it will be the turn of patchwork block 2 and appliqué block 106 (a Dresden circle).
Sew until then .....