Sunday 13 October 2019

Granny's Garden Block 26

Granny's Garden Block 26

This week’s flower blocks is an easy one – and even easier because quick fuse applique.  The only fabric you need is one 6” x 5” rectangle for the flower and two 9” x 2” strips from two different fabrics.
All that is needed for Block 26

For the leaves you stitch the two 9” x 2” strips together along the 9” length and press the seam open.  
I call this method strip applique!

When you trace the leaves trace a line centrally from one leaf point to the other as shown before.  You can then line up the traced line with the seam of the leaves on the BACK of your patch before fusing the tracings in place.
Line up the traced center line with the stitched seam.

For the flower, Lori cuts three different shapes but there is no need when you are using quick fuse applique.  Firstly trace Sew Simple Shape I7 and then trace two Sew Simple Shape I11s on top, so that the tips of the I11 shapes are just touching centrally in the middle of the I7 shape and the curves of the I11 shapes are lying almost along the bottom of the I7 tracing. (It makes more sense when you see the tracing below).  
Three become one!

Fuse this onto the BACK of the 6” x 5” rectangle and cut along the outer outline to create a tulip head. 
Three simple pieces make such a pretty flower

You will need a 4½” length of stem (see HERE for how easily I cut my stems).   Fold the background circle in half to help when playing the flower, leaves and stems centrally.
You can just see the finger crease along the center of the white circle

Fuse, stitch and admire. 
Fused and ready for stitching

That is nine blocks done and only five more to go for my Granny’s Garden bed runner.  Woot!

No comments:

Post a Comment