Friday 24 August 2018

Farmer's Wife 1920 Quilt - Blocks 1 & 2

I am sewing along with Gnomeangel in the Farmer's Wife 1920s sew-along.  It is the first Farmer's Wife book which you can buy from Amazon.
The Farmer's Wife 1920s Quilt Book


I shall be foundation paper-piecing most of the blocks using templates provided by the Yahoo group 'The Farmer's Wife Sampler'.   (It would appear that the templates are no longer available from this group.)   I shall also patch some of the really easy blocks (see Block 2 below).

I shall share my experiences with you each week together with any hints and tips that might be relevant.  So let us begin with this week's two blocks.

Block 1 - Attic Windows.
Block 1 - Attic Window

This is a very easy block to paper-piece.  (I think it should be called 'Attic Window' and not 'Windows' as there is only one window!  The original 'Attic Windows' block from the 1920s contained four of these windows.)

Block 2 - Autumn Tints.
Block 2 - Autumn Tints

Also know historically as Carmen's Block.  This block was an easy one to patch. The book uses four different fabrics but I think three is quite enough.  And, as you can see it is more Summer Tints than Autumn.

When pressing I often press seams open AND to the side within the same block.  It helps the block lay flat.
Back of Block 2 - Autumn Tints

Be sure to check out all information and prizes Gnomeangel has organised for this sew-along. And seriously consider joining in - you will hone your skills and meet lots of lovely people along the way.   

I have started a Farmer's Wife 1920s Pinterest page where I will post each block and link them through to the blog posting for that block.  

So how about it - are you up for creating a life full of fabric, fun and friends?  I do hope so.  Until next time .....

7 comments:

  1. I might have to join in with you, I have the book and so LOVE your version...off to find out what I need to do...thanks for the inspiration xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jump in Dawn. Stay relaxed and think of it as fun. If you miss a block or two that's fine. You can leave them out or go back to them at a later day. I hope you enjoy it. 💟

      Delete
  2. I have the book but all those little templates really seemed like too much. I love the idea of paper piecing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just can't motivate myself to hand-stitch all those little pieces either Jean. Join the Yahoo group and use the paper-piecing templates - you'll enjoy it.

      Delete
    2. Joined the group, now I just have to get my butt in gear.

      Delete
  3. I'm sewing along to it too! My guild had a sew day today so I was working on them. I'm also doing foundation piecing and I agree about block #1, I even double checked the name of it because I thought it should only be window!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I thought it was me just being pedantic! Glad I am not the only one. Nice to have you sewing along Sheila. If you are on IG message me over there and I will follow you.

      Delete