Saturday 1 November 2014

Across the Pond for a Good Read


It is that time of year when I just want to curl up on the sofa, warm and cosy with a cup of tea and a good book.  So I was thrilled when Susie picked this month’s Across the Pond sew-along project – BOOKMARKS.  

Quilting and sewing has its roots in the make-do-and-mend era, when every last scrap was put to good use. Susie has embraced this tradition by creating a wonderful little pattern that is created from scraps that we would normally throw away – fabric selvages and zipper trimmings.   
Susie's FREE Selvage Bookmark
As soon as Susie's FREE Selvage Bookmark pattern landed in my inbox I knew I had to make it.  I always have lots of selvages that I save for my Tea-and-Books mug rug so I had all the trimmings to hand. For this project I pulled some of my green selvages.
Half an hour of simple quilt-as-you-go sewing and hey-presto – a super little present to accompany a quilt book for a sewing friend this Christmas.  
I love the little zippered tail - such a cute idea.

But my designer mind wouldn’t leave this month’s theme alone and one morning I woke with a little FREE bookmark pattern all of my own – the Country Heart Bookmark.   
The Country Heart Bookmark available FREE in my Craftsy Store

First I made two in country checks and gingham .....  
 

Then I decided grey felt always looks nice with a touch of red and another two were made .... 

Which got me thinking it might be quite nice to patch the inner fabric from 2½” squares ...... 

And what about Christmas red  ....... 

Playing with fabric, felt, selvages and trimmings has never been so much fun (or addictive).  You’ve gotta try it.  

And when you are done be sure to post your finished bookmarks to Instagram and tag me in @thepatchsmith so we can all ‘oooh’ and ‘aaah’ at your creations.  

Until next time.........

8 comments:

  1. I agree...nothing like a book and a cup of tea when it's cold outside. These clever bookmarks will keep the place, until we can enjoy this little luxury next time. These are all such cute bookmarks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so cute, I'm off to play!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy yourself Sarah. And if you have any questions just email me - my email is in my 'About' page.
      xx

      Delete
  3. I keep looking for a 'like' button...these are cute and so handy, I can see myself making a few for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are very addictive Ferne and will fit easily into an envelope making them a perfect little gift to send in with a Christmas card.

      Delete
  4. I just adore your bookmarks, Amanda! I thought I had seen my favorites ... with the red gingham and tans, and then I saw the blues and grays, and then I saw that tan with the 3 different little fabric patches!! The possibilities are endless!! You are awesome with putting felt and fabrics together. Thank you for the pattern!! I am off to make myself one!!
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you, Amanda! There's nothing like a good book on a cold, winter day - especially one with a pretty bookmark! Thanks for the free tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love those peek-a-boo hearts and ribbon. Perfect craft for gift giving and hand as a tag too! Thanks for the free pattern! I think this makes a great "ten minutes to myself" activity. ; )

    ReplyDelete