Monday 28 January 2019

Patchsmith Sampler Block 47 - Counterpane


Block 47 - Counterpane
I would rate this week’s Patchsmith Sampler sew-along block as a block for the intermediate patcher.  The block isn’t difficult in itself but the pieces are small. Having said that though, if you are a beginner then give it a go – just remember the number one tip for Block 47 ‘Counterpane’ 
“PRESS ALL SEAMS TOWARDS 
THE SAME FABRIC THROUGHOUT”

For the beginner press towards the darker fabric throughout although it doesn't really matter whether you press towards the lighter or darker fabric just so long as you are consistent throughout the block.  

With Block 47 I finger pressed whilst constructing the block and once the block was complete I gave it a good press.  This gave me a bit of wiggle room when matching seams.
Just two fabrics is all that is needed for Block 47

Regardless I would urge you not to worry if your seams do not match exactly.  The most important thing when sewing sampler blocks is to have fun doing so.   And, just so you know that I too have trouble matching my seams sometimes, here is Day 61 from my 2015 BAD (Block-a-Day) challenge where my seams are not ‘perfect’ but I love the finished block. 
My Block-a-Day (BAD) 2015 block for Day 61 - not perfect but pretty enough

And here is another BAD 2015 block where the seams do not meet exactly in the center. 
Another BAD 2015 block where the center seams are not exact.

So try to enjoy the journey - after all there are just three more blocks to go in this sew-along.  In the meantime I look forward to seeing any blocks you make from the book over on Instagram (just tag "@thepatchsmith" or the block number and name #block47counterpane).  This applies anytime - not just during this sew-along.

Until next week when we will put a Valentine spin on Block 48 .......

2 comments:

  1. I make simple mini quilts for my local animal shelter Cat Cages which have metal bottoms ,using up all my scaaps.How do I get the the pattern for block 47???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Block 47 is included in The Patchsmith's Sampler Quilt Blocks pattern book available via Amazon. However, all block patterns are 6" finished size - I do not know if this will be large enough for you.
      Kindness
      Amanda

      Delete