Thursday 18 October 2018

Farmers Wife 1920s Blocks 17 & 18

Block 18 - Century of Progress

Block 17 – Cats & Mice
I made this block three times using foundation paper-piecing and I wasn't pleased with any of the results.  My notes convey my dislike of using this method for this block:  "horrendous little block" .....
Block 17 Paper-pieced version 1

....... and "retried - still horrid".  
Block 17 Paper-pieced version 2

Finally I revisited the block and patched it as the original block had been patched at the beginning of the 20th century.  Sure enough this method worked perfectly.  
Block 17 - Cats & Mice patched using my free block pattern
So, in hindsight, standing on the shoulders of our foremothers was the best way.  You can do the same using the free block pattern I have created.




Block 18 – Century of Progress
I changed the fabric placement to create a symmetrical Block 18
When this block was originally created great strides were being forged throughout the world. I am so grateful for those strides especially when it comes to my electric sewing machine.  This block is one of my favourite to date especially after I made a change in fabric placement to create a more symmetrical block.  My notes simply state "beautiful block".  

I am bang up-to-date it would seem - not that it matters - this is a marathon not a sprint!

5 comments:

  1. I just bought your book! Cannot wait to try out your sampler patterns!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing the pattern. I have the book and this quilt is on my list of quilts I want to make. Love your colors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anxious to try this block 18 Century of progress. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm trying to find the pattern for block 18. I can't find it anywhere. Could you please send me the link. Thank You

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The paper-pieced blocks are no longer available on-line. Therefore, copyright restrictions mean I am unable to share my copy.
      Kindness,
      QAmanda

      Delete