Tuesday 18 September 2018

Farmers Wife 1920 Blocks 9 & 10

Block 10 - Bowtie

I was working with blue fabrics this week and it carried over into my Farmer’s Wife 1920s blocks. But I wasn’t blue making these blocks – they were both very, very simple. The first was paper-pieced and the second was patched.

Block 9 – Box
Block 9 - Box

My notes state that I “combined the pieces of the paper-piecing chart to reduce the number of seams”.  If you want to do the same the easiest way is just to glue the templates together.  On the top and bottom sections start with the background triangle (white fabric in my block) as paper-piece 1 and stitch the additional pieces to either side.  On the middle segment make the center paper-piece 1 and add the two background triangles to either side.  Try it - you'll find it makes this block really simple to paper-piece.

Block 10 – Bowtie
I made this block back in November 2013 and my notes for that time state “After work – very tired – fave colours”. And here is that block.

This week I patched a softer version (see top of blog) and my notes state “Easy – 15 minutes maximum”. 
Tip: The secret to getting those points to match perfectly is to press the top left and bottom right seams away from the quick corners and then press the top right and bottom left seams towards the quick corners as shown:
Press your quick corner seams in opposite directions to help when nesting the points

And hopefully you will end up with points to be proud of..... 
Points match up perfectly.

Come back next week for another two blocks - I can't guarantee they will be as quick and easy but hopefully they should be just as pretty.  Until then ......

1 comment:

  1. Excelente me encanta este block, probare hacerlo. Gracias

    ReplyDelete