Saturday 13 June 2015

On The Spot Machine Mat and Pincushion

On the Spot Sewing Machine Mat with Pincushion
As soon as the first images of the On the Spot Trivet from Amy Sinibaldi’s ‘SweetlyStitched Handmades’ started to appear on Instagram and Blogland I knew I would have to make one. 
However, I also knew that, if I made something so pretty I would not want to risk scorching it or staining it by using it as a trivet.  So, I set about making a new mat for my sewing machine instead whilst staying true to the book.
Scrappy Spots
 I followed Amy’s excellent pattern and instructions but changed the size of the mat to fit my sewing machine with a little extra on the side.  
A Spot of Colour on the Sewing Table
Why the extra?  I wanted to incorporate a pincushion into the design.
A little pinnie to store the sharps as I take them out of my sewing
Instead of twelve spots I increased the number to twenty-one and set about attaching all the dots except one.  The final dot would serve as the base of the pincushion.

To make the pincushion I stitched two 3" circles of fabric together before carefully cutting a slit in one of them.  I turned the circles right-side out through the slit and then stuffed it with off-cuts of batting until it was nice and firm.  After wrapping six strands of thread around the pincushion to segment it, I attached a button to the center top and the final spot to the center bottom.  Using the final spot in this way made it so much easier to attach the pincushion onto the mat.
Stitching the final dot (with pincushion attached)
So there you have it - the prettiest handmade sewing machine mat EVER - don't you agree?

If you fancying slowing down and stitching something handmade then I can recommend this book - it is full of cute projects.  You might also like to check out the #SweetlyStitchedSAL which is happening right now on Instagram. 
Until next time.....

12 comments:

  1. This is brilliant Amanda! :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christine. It looks really pretty on my sewing desk.

      Delete
  2. It's lovely! Great idea to make something different. I could never risk ruining it with saucepans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love sewing with linen and light colours but it only takes on stain and all that work is ruined. A sewing machine mat is much safer.

      Delete
  3. Sew adorable, especially the sewn on pincushion Amanda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pincushion turned out prettier than I could've hoped and it was relatively easy to attach due to the 'spot' on the bottom (giggle).

      Delete
  4. That looks fabulous! What a good idea to stitch down the pinnie to the mat... Mine is forever falling off onto the floor! Such pretty fabrics too xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elly - it helps if things are attached doesn't it? I seem to drop needles and pins often and then end up on my hand and knees searching for them ;-(

      Delete
  5. So sweet I might have to copy you. Ps I have the same little chick fabric

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I adore that little chick fabric. It was just a charm square that I had and I was waiting for the right project.

      Delete
  6. An adorable and practical project! I love your colors and fabrics for your perfect little spots! The pincushion addition is brilliant!
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is ADORABLE! I'm always happy when I see an email from The Patchsmith under my Forums tab. I know I'll see something cute or fun, this time it was cute AND inspiring! Thanks for sharing and for the review of the book. I've been thinking about getting it ever since it first came out.

    ReplyDelete