Monday 1 June 2015

Across the Pond for a Book Carry Cover

It is coming up to that time of the year when many of us will be out-and-about, travelling hither and thither, locally and globally.  So Across this Pond this month is all about those must-have on-the-go items that no traveller can do without.  

For me no journey is complete without a book to read or a journal to write in so I am recommending a book carryall as my Across the Pond SAL make for this month’s out-and-about theme.  

I used the bible-cover-tutorial by Amy's over at Park City Girl as the basis for my carryall with a few Patchsmith tweaks. 
Amy's Creative Side - Bible Cover
First up I added a little touch of scrapilicious patchwork and hand stitching.

Then I changed the handles as I wanted them to be a bit wider and have a contrast trim to match the lining (check out this tutorial by Delia Creates for a book carryall with similar handles). 
Patchsmith Handles (1.5" wide with fusible batting incorporated)
I also added an elastic loop and button closure rather than a tie closure for ease-of-use. And finally, I included a ribbon bookmark from my Country Heart free bookmark pattern.
It doesn't matter which way you flip it - this bookmark is reversible.
I quilted the cover which made it a very snug fit for my Emily Dickinson book of poems.  
Every journey starts with a good book.
But I liked the finished carryall so much that I decided a journal carryall was in order - one which would hold a standard A5 journal.  More patchwork and a little touch of Patchsmith applique and this is the result .......

The butterfly applique is from my Butterfly Patch mug rug pattern – doesn’t it look pretty sat atop those 1½” scrappy patchwork squares?  
Flown over from my Butterfly Patch mug rug pattern
I followed the same steps as before but this time I added – a pocket on the inside back flap to hold a couple of pens. 

But can you spot the obvious mistake? Yes, the handles are round the wrong way – thankfully the contrast trim co-ordinates with the butterfly so I am henceforth calling it a ‘design feature’ ;-)
Have journal - will travel.
But if reading/journalling isn’t your thing you should pop over to Susie’s Sunroom for some more travel essentials (that girl is one seriously talented pouch/purse maker).

And don’t forget to stop by the Across the Pond SAL Flickr group share your must-have travel accessories with us.


Sew until next time ....... 

7 comments:

  1. Hello Amanda! That is a fabulous book cover! What a great idea just in time for summer holidays! :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christine - I am really pleased with how it has turned out.

      Delete
  2. I love both of your book carry covers! Your patchwork and embroidery touches are so beautiful! The addition of your bookmark and the pen pocket are really great!
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Susie. I love using my scraps in patchwork. If only I was as accomplished as you at making pouches! But I am going to try the doughnut pouch for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I mean a 'dumpling' pouch - giggle. xx

      Delete
  4. Both the book cover and your journal cover are so sweet Amanda! I especially love your scrapilicious patchwork and hand stitching - perfect Patchsmith tweaks!

    ReplyDelete