Saturday 23 January 2016

Farmer’s Wife 1930s Quilt Blocks 35, 36, 40 and 42

Farmer's Wife 1930s block no. 42 - Heather
The two Very Kerry Berry’s blocks this week went together fairly easily ...

Block 35 – Flora.  This was the very first block I made – as a tested to see if I would be able to manage the paper-piecing for this sew along.  I initially made it in rose-like colours but there was just too much white in that block for my quilt.  So I remade it.  It is an easy block to make although some think the block pattern is a little ‘odd’.
Farmer's Wife 1930s block no. 35 - Flora

Block 36 – Geneva.  I like blocks that are built around four quarters as it means I can production-line each quarter and the blocks tend to go together quite quickly.  My notes advise to “take papers off before joining the fours blocks so you can press and nest the seams”.  
GnomeAngel chose two blocks this week – the first which I have already blogged about.

Block 40 – Grandmother.  The paper-piecing templates for this block include an inset seam but there is no need for it.  Check this blog post for details of how to make small changes to the template to do away with the inset seam.   You will also find the template for an applique handle to fit this basket.
Farmer's Wife 1930s block no. 40 - Grandmother

Block 42 – Heather.  I made this block last month (see top of blog post) and I enjoyed it so much I made another in Christmas fabrics.  Simple to paper-piece this block is one I will return to again. 
Farmer's Wife 1930s block no. 42 - Christmas Heather

You can see all the blocks I have made so far over on my Farmer’s Wife Pinterest Board or on my Farmer’s Wife tab above.

Back to my Valentine Day sewing .......

5 comments:

  1. Just love all your blocks Amanda! So pretty! Christine x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your stitching and fabric choices are always amazing. **sigh**

    ReplyDelete
  3. I echo the comments already made! These are amazing! Today I can't decide which is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Block 35 Flora is my favorite, it's unusual and has a surprise moment. I like that and the fabric choice.
    Great blocks!

    ReplyDelete