Wednesday 27 January 2016

Bloom Sew Along

Bloom Block Two Applique

The Bloom sew-along (a.k.a. Calico Days sew-along) is underway and we are two weeks and two blocks in.
Bloom Block One

There are many ways to undertake the applique for these blocks.  Lori Holt seems to favour the ‘sew-to-interfacing-turn-it-out-and-then-sew-to-background-square’ – a method I have used before as in my Valentine Box from last year:
Interfaced backed heart applique

However, I prefer the quick-fuse method for this sew-along as I find I can get sharper points on the shapes. Besides which it is much quicker.  (You can find lots of hints and tips on quick fuse applique here.)  But whichever way you applique the flowers you are sure to enjoy the Bloom blocks. 
Sharper points on Bloom Block One with quick fuse applique

I'm using my blocks to create a bed runner and a couple of bed pockets (stitched to a fitted valance to hold my book, glasses and tablet). 
Bloom Block Two

As with all sew-alongs, I shall be stitching my blocks together as I go along.  But I know already, this is going to be one pretty quilted runner.
Block Block Four (I jumped ahead)
If you fancy joining in – even for just a block or two – then pop over to Riley Blake (PDF) or Lori Holt for more details.  

Until next time ......

7 comments:

  1. Your blocks look beautiful Amanda and I am very tempted to join in but I have already joined in too many SAL's that I am not sure if I will keep up! I shall enjoy seeing your blocks though! Christine x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can live vicariously through me Christine - after all, I do it ALL the time with your amazing embroidery. I will try not to disappoint.
      xxx

      Delete
  2. I completely agree about fusible applique being the fast and precise. As always, you work is perfection, itself! This is a great quilt along! Thanks for letting us enjoy it vicariously. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen. I am really enjoying Lori Holt's patterns - her Farm Girl Vintage book is brilliant and, as you know, I have made her snowman and quilty zip pocket. This sew-along is proving just as enjoyable.

      Delete
  3. Hopping on the vicarious bandwagon! I love the finish of fusible applique because it's smoother and more flat. It looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete