Saturday 12 December 2015

Farmer’s Wife 1930s Quilt Blocks 23, 24, 25, 26 and 55

Farmer's Wife Star

We move out of the ‘C’s for the Very Kerry Berry sew-along this past fortnight but only just:

Block 23 – Charlotte.  I made this block initially when I thought I would sash my blocks on point as shown in the book.  Doing it that way requires half-triangles for some of the ends.  However, since then I have joined the units and added it as a ‘straight set’ block.  Notes read:  “Easy paper-piecing” and it was. 
Farmer's Wife 1930s block no. 23 - Charlotte

Block 24 – Coral.  I patched this block for the Gnome Angle sew-along in week 3.  “An ‘odd’ looking block.”  I will not be adding it to the finished quilt but have replaced it with the ‘full’ star block shown at the top of this blog post. 
Farmer's Wife 1930s block no. 24 - Coral

Block 25 – Crystal.  My notes in the book say it all .....“3 hours – shocking block and to finish you have all those seams in the middle.  Yuk, yuk and yuk.”  
Farmer's Wife 1930s block no. 25 - Crystal

Block 26 – Daffodil.  I didn’t like this block initially and a lot of people on the Facebook group also didn’t like it.  But I paper-pieced it in Bonnie and Camille and it turned out so pretty.  I have sashed it in on-point. 
Farmer's Wife 1930s block no. 25 - Daffodil

For the Gnome Angel sew-along there were just two blocks this week:

Block 22 – Cat.  This block was covered last week for the Very Kerry Berry sew-along.  But to recap the notes in my book read “nice to paper-piece”. 
Farmer's Wife 1930s block no. 22 - Cat

Block 55 – Malvina.  I had put off making this block because, to be honest, I was fed up of patching half-square triangles.  However, it cropped up this week on the Gnome Angel sew-along so there was no escape.  But instead of patching I paper-pieced it and it went together quickly (30 minutes) and relatively easily. 
https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/568860996662151689/
Farmer's Wife 1930s block no. 55 - Malvina

Remember you can see all the blocks on my Farmer's Wife 1930s Pinterest Board or by clicking on the 'Farmer's Wife 1930s' tab above.

Next week both of the Very Kerry Berry blocks have lots and lots of pieces so I better go and make a start on them ...............

3 comments:

  1. It's so interesting to read your thoughts and notes about these blocks. They are each so charming Amanda! My favorite is #22 Cat. I love the colors and fabric combinations you've used. #25 Crystal would take me forever to sew too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just finished block 28 Dolly and it is a real time-thief. So maybe Crystal wasn't too bad after all!!

      Delete
  2. Love your blocks, especially the star.

    ReplyDelete