Friday 21 September 2012

The mad, old lady covered in threads

The Patchsmith's Pumpkin Patch mug rug pattern

Autumn is just around the corner and the nights are drawing in ...... ooh, sounds like another story but I hate to disappoint – I am just waxing lyrical (again!).  It will soon be time for my daughter and I to visit the farm to pick our pumpkins.  They are all in the field waiting to be collected.  What a sight – row-upon-row of glorious orange and mustard coloured pumpkins.  But they are not in the farm shop yet so there was nothing for it - I just had to make my own little pumpkin patch to tide me over until harvest.  In fact I made two – one for me and one for my daughter, Beth.  This pattern was so quick that I made two in an afternoon.  In fact, I spent more time trying to get a good photo of them than I did stitching them.  I have added the pattern to my Etsy shop so be sure to check it out (literally!).  
Add a heart to show how much you love Autumn.

Here in England pumpkins are regarded as little more than Halloween decoration.  It they are lit  then trick-or-treaters may call, but if there is no pumpkin alight in the doorway then trick-or-treaters are not welcome.  We always have two pumpkins blazing away but last year I had to blow them out after we run out of sweeties – there were so many wonderful children all dressed up.
 
This evening I received a blog post from Eamylove in which she has co-ordinated the tea-and-cake mug rug with her pretty home (I am assuming it is pretty from all the wonderful things she has in it - though having said that I haven't seen a picture of her husband - he might be a shocker!!).   
What a clever lady Amy is - she has made the mug rug slightly bigger to give her more room for cake no doubt!   Amy has also provided a free tutorial on machine-stitched binding with a free PDF download .  It was mentioned on Craft Gossip too so don’t be left out.  I have yet to give it a go – I am a little bit daunted because Amy makes it all look so lovely, I am sure to have squiggles and wiggles and threads all over the place. 
But hey, at least I wouldn’t need a costume for Halloween – I could just go as the crazy, raggedy old lady from the village (not that I'm old you understand - it is just anybody is 'ancient' to a six-year old).
Until next time .......

8 comments:

  1. Good thing I was not using my new mug rug as I read this post...when I saw the part about my husband, I would have sprayed tea from my nose, for sure! ha ha ha Fortunately he is always the best looking guy in the room, in my eyes. :) My house, though? Well, it needs a good cleaning, since I've been neglecting it in favor of sewing lately. I'm sure I'm not the only one...maybe a little dust is part of zakka style! Thanks for the referrals to my blog, dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a feeling he was a good looking bloke. As for dust? It is a necessary by-product of sewing along with blood, sweat and seam rippers.

      Delete
  2. I love that pumpkin mug rug Amanda. Clever you. I finally made the nesting boxes from Zakka and have only 3 projects to go! Good to see Amy's work featured here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay!!!A new mug rug pattern to make for the holidays!! And then make more for my mother and daughter! Can't wait to see YOUR block for the Glorious Autumn Block Party on Oct 4!!

    Also, it is so cool to see your Bee Hive being recreated in beautiful ways all over! :)

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun is that, To see your pattern around the world. Such lovely versions!
    And your new pattern is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just purchased your pumpkin pattern. It is so cute. I've been admiring Amy's mug rugs. I am a fan of hers and her sister, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will love that little mug rug - it is so lovely my daughter can't bear to put her cup on it!!!!

      Delete
  6. Love the pumpkin mug rug. A girl can never have too many mats and coasters, particularly if she has children.

    ReplyDelete