I am catching up on the Very Kerry Berry sew-along this week with another five Farmer’s Wife 1930s blocks.
Block 72 – Mrs Smith. There are a lot of notes in my book for this block. Firstly “make sure you sew the arrows (chevrons) together correctly – don’t turn the pieces upside down”. This comment tells you how my piecing went initially. Next “make one corner unit and one arrow unit and use that as a guide for the others”. More mistakes in my piecing which I soon corrected. Overall note reads “really tricky block for placement – it is not enough just to mark colours on the chart.”
|Farmer's Wife 1930s block no. 72 - Mrs Smith|
Block 73 – Mrs Taft. Thankfully this block was easier than Mrs Smith. I made it scrappy but it would look good in two colours with one background as shown in the book.
|Farmer's Wife 1930s block no. 73 - Mrs Taft|
Block 74 – Mrs Thomas. This looks complicated. But it isn’t. I split the center quite simply by patching four squares together and then cutting it on the angle. Notes say it all ‘Loved making this block’.
|Farmer's Wife 1930s block no. 74 - Mrs Thomas|
Block 75 – Nan. I initially made this block using English paper-piecing whilst watching over my father one Saturday morning. Notes in book from October last year tell me “there are glimpses of the old Dad in there but not many”. (I remade this block by machine - shown at the top of this post.)
|Farmer's Wife 1930s block no. 75 - Nan|
Block 77 – Nellie. I patched this block rather than paper-pieced it just because I was in the mood for a little patchwork. It is not perfect but I like it and the imperfections will not show once it is quilted.
|Farmer's Wife 1930s block no. 77 - Nellie|
It reminds me of Block 98 – Viola which I also patched last September. The notes for Viola apply to Nellie “lovely block to patch using strip piecing for checkerboards.”
|Farmer's Wife 1930s block no. 98 - Viola|
You can find all my Farmer’s Wife blocks on my Pinterest page or by clicking on the ‘Farmer’s Wife 1930s’ tab above.
Until next time ......