Wednesday 7 September 2016

The Cozy Christmas Flower Wreath Mug Rug


We are hanging wreaths this week in the Cozy Christmas sew along.  (You can get the free pattern together with details of fabric requirements and templates over at Bee in my Bonnet.)

I already have a couple of wreaths in my mug rug library – one from my Special Days pattern book .....
Special Days Holiday Wreath Mug Rug

.......and one from my One Block Mug Rugs pattern book. 
One Block Christmas Wreath Mug Rug

So I opted for a flower wreath block for this week’s Cozy Christmas mug rug and here is how .....

To begin I created the smaller flower center by tracing shape B20 onto paper.  I then scanned it and printed it at 60% size.   
Select 60% in the scaling box BUT
 remember to put it back to 100% when printing patterns

Next I added shape B2 for the center and a-smidgeon-over-half of shape B10 for the corner leaves so that it all fits neatly onto a 6½” background square.

The only thing left was to decide which sidebar I would use from my One Block Mug Rugs book.   
The choices are endless with my One Block pattern book

I went for the ‘quirky’ option of turning the Stars and Stripes Sidebar into a Snowman’s Flag by fussy cutting some of Lori Holt’s cutesy Cozy Christmas fabric. (This sidebar is also available individually for $1.99 in the Stars and Stripes Tea-Time pattern.)
Snowman Flag Sidebar

And as they say – the rest was history – or should that be herstory - batting, backing and quilting herstory. 
Simple outline quilting and a scalloped binding

I am rather smitten with this mug rug and I think I will have trouble parting with it come Christmas time.  But I can’t keep them all.
My new favourite Cozy Christmas Mug Rug

If you want to see all my projects and patterns then snowball it over to my Patchsmith ‘Design, Make’ Do’ Pinterest page for a little bit of mug rug gazing.

Until next time .....

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful mug rug!! There is just something sew adorable about this. I love the proportions and colors!! The Lori Holt Snowman fabric makes a perfect flag!! Makes me see that there are so many ways to use your Stars and Stripes Sidebar!
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't really thought about the Stars and Stripes sidebar as a Snowman flag - it just evolved when I saw the lovely little snowmen all in a row.

      Delete
  2. What a showcase of pretty mug rugs...I love wreaths for every season, and these are all so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete