Sunday 17 January 2016

Farmer’s Wife 1930s Quilt Blocks 33, 34, 53, 67 and 71

The two Very Kerry Berry blocks this week went together fairly easily and I really enjoyed making both of them .....

Block 33 – Farmer’s Wife.  The book’s namesake is an easy block to paper-piece and I suspect it would be fairly easy to patch as well.
Farmer's Wife 1930s block no. 33 - Fanny

Block 34 – Fern.  Fern included inset seams but I followed Very Kerry Berry’s tutorial (find it here) and machine stitched these insets without a hitch.  No seam ripper needed here and this turned out to be my favourite bock of this week.
Farmer's Wife 1930s block no. 34 - Fern
  
GnomeAngel chose three blocks this week – two of which I had already stitched.

Block 53 – Lucy.  This block was paired with block 67 – Mrs. Brown and you can see why – they are very similar.  The paper-piecing of this block was relatively straightforward and went together in a couple of hours.
Farmer's Wife 1930s block no. 53 - Lucy

Block 67 – Mrs Brown.  This block was made last November when I attempted to patch the block and, whilst the patchwork turned out okay I wasn’t happy with the fabrics.  So I revisited it and paper-pieced it in Bloom and Bliss fabrics.  
Farmer's Wife 1930s block no. 67 - Mrs. Brown

Block 71 – Mrs. Morgan.  This block was very easy to paper-piece.  My choice of fabrics was influenced by the fact that this block reminds me of a circle of tulips.  I love how pretty it turned out and that it creates a secondary star in the middle.
Farmer's Wife 1930s block no. 71 - Mrs. Morgan

You can see more of the blocks I have made this week over on my Farmer’s Wife Pinterest Board or on my Farmer’s Wife tab above.

The Bloom sew-along starts Monday 18th and I am looking forward to getting into some applique – it’ll make a nice change from these paper-pieced and patched blocks.


I’m ready and waiting .......

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Melody - your support means a lot to me.

      Delete
  2. Wow! More beautiful blocks Amanda! So looking forward to see them pieced together! Have a lovely week! Christine x

    ReplyDelete
  3. These latest blocks are as pretty as can be, like a spring garden. That Mts. Morgan is so interesting and it came out beautifully! She is my favorite this week. ๐Ÿ˜‰๐ŸŒท๐Ÿ’

    ReplyDelete
  4. What pretty blocks you have made! I really love Fern and Lucy this week. Their colors are just gorgeous!!
    Susie

    ReplyDelete