Sunday 10 January 2016

Farmer’s Wife 1930s Quilt Blocks 31, 32, 47 and 51

Farmer's Wife 1930s block no. 51 - Lily

New Year and new Farmer's Wife 1930s blocks.  The two ongoing sew-alongs got off to a cracking start.  First up was Very Kerry Berry’s two blocks ....

Block 31 – Eva.  This block is very similar to two other farmer’s wife blocks we have already made on this sew-along - block 3 Alice and block 6 April.  So I know by now that I need to mark the template to indicate the fabrics and to take my time.  Then all will be well.  I pulled two rectangles of scrap fabric from my box and just sewed.  Unfortunately I wasn’t paying enough attention and had to use my seam ripper.  But it all worked out fine in the end.
Farmer's Wife 1930s block no. 31 - Eva

Block 32 – Fanny.  My notes for this block are short - ‘lovely block’.  It was a straightforward paper-pieced block and one that is good for using up some more of my scraps.
Farmer's Wife 1930s block no. 32 - Fanny
   
The Gnome Angel sew-along also started the year with two blocks:

Block 47 – Joy.  This block was a relatively easy paper-piece block although it is important to match the J/K, D/E, F/G and H/I sections correctly.  Follow the small diagram under the title and ensure you match J3 to K1, D1 to E3, F3 to G1 and H1 to I3. 
Farmer's Wife 1930s block no. 47 - Joy

Block 51 – Lily.  This block gave me more than a little trouble and I became best friends with my seam ripper. Pretty block though.
Farmer's Wife 1930s block no. 51 - Lily
That's all for this week - when I say 'all' you do realise I am talking about 11 hours of block making don't you? Until next time .......

4 comments:

  1. Fabulous blocks Amanda! Your quilt is going to look wonderful! Christine x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christine - I'm on the home stretch.

      Delete
  2. You are so smart to make friends with your seam ripper. You make beautiful blocks together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such beautiful blocks! These will be spectacular when put together !!
    Susie

    ReplyDelete