Saturday, 1 December 2012

A Trio of Trees

Welcome to December – the month of joy, gifts, family and friends getting together over the meal table, hectic schedules and excited children.  It really is a lovely month.  And even more so now the pattern for this month’s Across the Pond Sew Along is available.  It will not add too much to your workload.  The project this month is for a placemat and napkin set featuring a trio of trees.  There are two options – you can applique the trees or paper-piece them.  Both designs come with a nifty napkin holder incorporated into the side of the placemat. 
As followers of my blog will know I am very new to paper-piecing so this pattern is suitable for novices like myself.  I do not include any instructions on how-to-paper-piece as there are so many tutorials and books that tell you ‘how’ so much better than I can.  I would however, point you to Craftsy’s Block of The Month 2012” free video course – the month of October deals specifically with paper-piecing and it is very clear and informative.   Check it out here.  But even better than that - come and join the sew-along group for this month's project and stop a while to say hello - find out more at the Across the Pond Flickr page

Tip:  Ensure you set print scaling to 'none' on your print page prior to printing the templates.  This should ensure that each paper-pieced template is 4.5" wide from black dashed line to black dashed line.  There is a line on the front page of the pattern reminding you.  If you forget don't worry, your placemat will just be a little bit smaller - it will still look good

Both of the patterns for the placemat can be found in my Craftsy store – each are priced the same as all my patterns - just $1.99.  So, if you haven’t joined the Across the Pond Sew Along already, why not start this month.  And remember, trees are not just for Christmas!
 
Before I go I just wanted to help raise awareness of an opportunity for all quilters to put their skills to the aid of the Alzheimer’s Art Quilt Initiative.  It is a campaign where quilters donate a small quilt and that quilt is auctioned - all proceeds going towards Alzheimer’s research and awareness.  Do we need an excuse to quilt?  NEVER and how lovely to be able to do something we enjoy doing and help others at the same time.   I know many have been involved with the Sandy quilt initiative but it doesn’t have to stop there.  I was asked to give permission for two of my mug rug patterns to be made by a very kind lady called Shelly who is donating them to the Art Quilt Initiative.  Check it out and if you can find time to make something small (no bigger than 9” x 12”) I know they would be really pleased to receive it.  Details of the requirements can be found here,
 
Sew until next time .......

5 comments:

  1. I'm so excited to be making this project for the Across The Pond Sew Along! I hope lots of folks all over the world will join us. Those trees will be fun to stitch, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are too cute to resist!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful new patterns. Love the idea of a napkin holder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hia. Are these patterns still available? I can't find them on your craftsy account! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angharad,
      These patterns are no longer available in my Craftsy store but if you send me an email I will be able to help further. thepatchsmith[at]gmail[dot]com

      Delete