Friday 16 November 2012

Strip Search

Sometimes I am not the brightest penny in the pot and it can take a little while for me to realise that something isn't quite right.  Such was my escapade this week it is a wonder I am not writing this behind bars.
What on earth has the Patchsmith been up to?  I hear you ask.  Well it started quite innocently with a quilt pattern - as most things do.  I patch and I applique and occasionally I undertake some English paper piecing but I had never attempted to paper piece a block where you sew onto paper.  Susie over at Susie's Sunroom is very good at paper piecing and I am mighty envious of her scarecrow.  With this in mind I set out this week to learn how to paper piece.  I had seen a star that was made up of strips of fabric that I liked instantly but unfortunately it was not in my favourites folder.  I remembered that I had saved it but I think I may have put it in the wrong folder.  Well rather than search through the endless folders and items on my computer I decided to do a google search - it would be quicker.
 
I selected Google images as I knew I would recognise the star instantly and I typed in 'strip star'.  Well you can only imagine what showed up on my computer screen.  I am looking and looking wondering why I have pictures of naked people, of boobies and bums and not a quilt block in sight.  I look back at my search box .... yes I had typed in the right thing 'strip star' yet not a patchwork anything (a few patches sure, on different bits and pieces, but nothing I could work with!!!).  Then the penny dropped (as we say here in England) and I roared with laughter.  What a klutz - and it had taken me several minutes to even realise.   
 
I was just about to clear the screen when an image caught my eye.  It was Brad Pitt - on the set of Troy - and he was naked - all except for a fig leaf covering his dignity.  Now have I told you that I have trigger finger - yes, 'tis true - it is a real medical term.  Sometimes my fingers click automatically, they lock, and I struggle to get them undone.  Well you will not believe it (neither will the judge I am sure) but just as I was about to clear the screen my fingers triggered onto the mouse and clicked onto the Brad Pitt picture.

Oh my!!  Yes, Brad was still wearing a fig leaf but I had the option to remove the fig leaf with one small, little click of the mouse.  Did I?  Didn't I?   Mmmmm, what do you think?  

Of course, I daren't say.  And I would love to share the links - you all know how very generous I am but unfortunately I don't think it is legal.  

As for my strip star - it is actually called a string star - but don't type that in Google images either - for stars wear strings - apparently.  If you do a 'strip' or 'string' search make sure you use the words 'patchwork block' somewhere on the search line.
I did make a block - it wasn't a string star block though that looks easier than the one I attempted.  I attempted the evening star (turorial here) I found it quite easy to sew the individual star points but putting it together was really tricky and fiddly and I didn't like it at all.  I couldn't match the points.  I haven't ruled out paper piecing - just not a strip star!!!

Ooh, gotta sign off now - the warden is on his way up - something about Prisoner No. 10 (of course!) stripping!   Sew until  later .......

10 comments:

  1. HAAAAAAAAaaahahahahahaha thanks for the giggles! Now if you'll excuse me, I have a date with Google Image Search!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are sew funny! Loved this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will come visit you in prison!
    You have me laughing out loud again!

    Susie :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sew you got a bit trigger finger happy did you? When I visit you in prison I will bring you a large cake with a file in it! Dont they do strip searches in prison?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amanda I was chuckling big time imagining you getting those images on 'strip star' google search. Glad you tried paper piecing. I highly recommend Quiet Play blog for some easy and FREE patterns. She is also on Craftsy like you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou. I will check it out. I have not given up on paper piecing.

      Delete
  6. Is that a smear of Chapstick I see on your computer monitor???

    ReplyDelete
  7. I went for a wander on google and nearly forgot to come back ;) What's there not to like about Brad Pitt!

    Anyhow, on the subject of paper piecing, have your tried Freezer Paper paper piecing? You can use the same paper pattern over a few times (or more if it's Jenkins) and there's no need to pull out paper after. Just peel off and reuse. Here's a great tutorial on it here: http://www.twiddletails.com/store/index.php?main_page=page&id=21 No affiliation just a fan of this method. Elly up north. PS love all your mug rugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellie, the tutorial looks great. I used thin printer paper on my latest design with a very small stitch and it worked out well - paper tore away easily. It is typical of me to start with a complex design. As for Brad, hand's off - he's mine!!

      Delete